Annie Rachele Lanzillotto
AUTHOR of Lambda Literary Award finalist L is for Lion: An Italian Bronx Butch Freedom Memoir (SUNY Press 2013) and the book of poetry Schistsong (Bordighera Press 2013).
RECORDING ARTIST, narrated the audiobooks for L IS FOR LION and SCHISTSONG, available on AUDIBLE.COM.
SINGER/SONGWRITER on her original albums: swampjuice: yankee with a southern peasant soul by annie lanzillotto & washbucket blues— Blue Pill by Annie Lanzillotto Band – Carry My Coffee recorded live with Lori Goldston on cello
BORN AND RAISED in the Westchester Square neighborhood of the Bronx, and in Yonkers, New York, of Barese heritage. B.A. with honors in medical anthropology from Brown University. MFA in Creative Writing from Sarah Lawrence College.
AWARD WINNING POET:
- “Diminished Capacity: An Indictment” – First Prize Allen Ginsberg Award of Patterson Literary Review 2016.
- Triple Bypass - Italian American Writers Association Paolucci Award in Poetry
- Manhattan Schist, and My Grandmother’s Hands - Rose and John Petracca Awards Second Place from Philadelphia Poets.
ACTOR & PERFORMANCE ARTIST debut in 1993 with her solo show, Confessions of a Bronx Tomboy: My Throwing Arm, This Useless Expertise at Under One Roof Theater and Manhattan Class Company in New York City. Lanzillotto received fellowships and performance commissions from New York Foundation For The Arts, Dancing In The Streets, Dixon Place, Franklin Furnace, The Rockefeller Foundation. Her shows include: Pocketing Garlic (Franklin Furnace), How to Wake Up a Marine in a Foxhole (The Kitchen), a’Schapett, at The Arthur Avenue Retail Market in the Bronx. (Dancing In The Streets, Rockefeller MAP Fund), The Flat Earth: Wheredddafhuck Did New York Go? (Dixon Place). Lanzillotto played Grandma Nunzio in the 2014 production of “Tony n’ Tina’s Wedding” in Times Square, directed by Tony Lauria.
TEACHER master classes in solo performance for the Acting Apprentice Company at Actors Theatre of Louisville; guest-artist workshops in Theatre Outreach at Sarah Lawrence College; writing and performance at Naropa College, and Robert Morris University. Multi-Disciplinary Performance Mentor at The Kitchen’s Summer Institute.
WRITER IN RESIDENCE, 2013-2014 Writer-in-Residence at New Jersey City University, and a 2013 Buckham Fund Writer-in-Residence at The University of Vermont.
“L is for Lion” has been taught on colllege syllabii at: New Jersey City University, Prof. Ellen Garvey’s class ”Women and Gender Studies” — New Jersey City University, Prof. Edvige Giunta’s class on “Memoir”– University of Vermont, Prof. John Gennari’s class — Brooklyn College, Prof. Bob Viscusi’s class ”Introduction to Italian American Lit.”
“L is for Lion” Book Tour has been to:
- University of Rhode Island, Kingston, R.I.. Hosted by Nancy Caronia.
- University of Vermont, Burlington. Hosted by Prof. John Gennari.
- Italian American Studies Association Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- College of Staten Island, Staten Island, New York. Hosted by Prof. Maryann Feola.
- Brown University Bookstore, Brown U, Providence R.I.. Hosted by Bob Geake.
- Bronx Museum of the Arts “Bronx Stories.” Curated by Lauren Click.
- Hofstra University. Hosted by Prof. Stanislao Pugliese.
- Westchester Italian Cultural Center, Tuckahoe, NY. Curated by Patrizia Calce.
- Highline Stages, NYC. Hosted by Alina Lundry
- Bureau of General Services Queer Division. Curators: Greg Newton, Donny Jochum
- Robert Morris University. Hosted by Prof. Michael DiLauro
- New Jersey City University. Hosted by Prof. Edvige Giunta and Prof. Ellen Garvey
- Gotham Center for NYC History. Curated by Suzanne Wasserman
- Brooklyn College, Wolfe Institute. Hosted by Prof. Bob Viscusi
- Bluestocking Books. Hosted by Sky.
- Housing Works Bookstore Cafe. Curated by Tom Cardamone.
- Porter Square Books, Cambridge Massachusetts. Curated by Ellen Jarrett.
- Bronx Museum of the Arts, “Conversations With Authors.” Curated by Miriam Taub
- “Bronx Rising” at Bronx Music Heritage Center. Curated by Elena Martinez, CityLore
- “Blue Mailbox Book Tour.” Commissioned by Franklin Furnace Fund. Co-produced by CityLore.
FOR MORE INFO
ACTING RESUME - Annie Lanzillotto - email@example.com
Member: Actors’ Equity Association
SHOW TITLE / ROLE / DIRECTOR/ VENUE
- Uprooting Cement / Solo-Show / Annie Lanzillotto / Dixon Place
- Blue Mailbox Book Crawl / Self / Annie Lanzillotto / Franklin Furnace & CityLore
- a’Schapett Chimaroot the Pushcart Peddler /Annie Lanzillotto /Arthur Ave Retail Market
- How To Cook a Heart/ Self / Annie Lanzillotto / Arthur Ave Retail Market
- Mammamia: You’ll Never Get a Straight Answer Again / Self / Annie Lanzillotto Arthur Ave Retail Market
- Cappuccinos and Cabrides / Solo-Show / Annie Lanzillotto / P.S. 122’s Avant-Garde-Arama
- Catholic School Kindergarten Sweethearts Turned Queer / Self / Annie Lanzillotto / Movement Research
- Alto / Mamma Lit / Mikki del Monico / Shake The Tree Productions
- Then and Now and Then / Self / Neil Goldberg / Museum of the City of NY
- Barese Icemen of New York / Self / Carlo Magaletti / United Pugliese Federation of NY
- New York Street Games / Self / Matt Levy / Highbrow Entertainment
- Molly O’Neill’s New York / Self / Pat Herold / WNET, Channel 13 New York
New York Theater
- Tony n’ Tina’s Wedding / Grandma Nunzio / Tony Lauria / Corcoran Inc.
- Confessions of a Bronx Tomboy / Solo-Show / Victoria MacElwayne / Manhattan Class Company, Under One Roof
- The Flat Earth: Wheredafffhuck Did New York Go? / Solo-Show / Will MacAdams / Dixon Place
- La Scarpetta / Self / Annie Lanzillotto / The Guggenheim Museum
- Mark Prezorski’s Occhio / Angela Occhio / Jane Hoffman / Ensemble Studio Theater
- Pocketing Garlic / Self / Annie Lanzillotto / Franklin Furnace at The Knitting Factory
- How To Wake Up a Marine in a Foxhole / Solo-Show / Annie Lanzillotto / The Kitchen
- Five & Two / Icewoman / Salley May / Chashama
- Lick My Fur / Zebra Diva / Salley May / La MaMa
- Running In Traffic Naked / Zebra Diva / Salley May / Dixon Place
- Mirage / Leader of Disabled Performers / Ann Carlson / Creative Time
- American Archaeology / Hobo who lights fire / Meredith Monk / Dancing In The Streets & The House Foundation for the Arts
- Frittatagoraphobia / Chef / Annie Lanzillotto / Smithsonian Folk Life Festival
- Rule 23 / Chimaroot/ Annie Lanzillotto / Roulette & Umami Fest
- Swampjuice: Yankee With a Southern Peasant Soul, 2016
- Blue Pill, 2010
- Carry My Coffee, 2012
- Eleven Recitations, 2012
Annie’s bands have performed at Dixon Place, St. Ann’s Church, Judson Church, Smalls Jazz Club, Make Music New York festival, Remember the Triangle Fire Memorial on Washington & Greene Streets, NYC
Education and Training
- Brown University B.A. with Honors
- Sarah Lawrence College M.F.A.
- Acting: Shirley Kaplan
- Voice: Kitty Rowe, Jeanie Lovetri, Lynn Book
- Alexander Tech: June Ekman
- Playwriting: John McCormick, Cassandra Medley
- Audience Sing-a-Long Leader
- Author: L is for Lion: an italian bronx butch freedom memoir, SUNY Press 2013. Schistsong, Bordighera Press 2013
- Language: Italian
- Music: basic chords on uke, guitar, keys; basic hand drumming
- Grants: Recipient of Rockefeller M.A.P. Fund Grant, N.Y.F.A. grant for Multi-Disciplinary Performance.
- Commissions: Franklin Furnace, Dancing In The Streets, Puffin Foundation, Dixon Place.
- Artist-in-Residence: Santa Fe Art Institute, Hedgebrook, New Jersey City University.
- Teacher: Solo-Theatre at Actor’s Theatre of Louisville. Writing & Performance Mentor at New Jersey City University